We are the nation’s largest member-driven health care performance improvement company. Our diverse membership includes academic medical centers, pediatric facilities, community hospitals, integrated health delivery networks and non-acute health care providers that together represent more than $100 billion in annual purchasing volume.
Data analytics and informatics are the backbone of everything we do at Vizient. Our pharmacy analytics team continually pushes the envelope to provide our members meaningful and actionable data and insights to support their efforts to drive cost-effective care and improve clinical outcomes.
Visiting PGY2 residents (the ‘guest resident’) completing this elective learning experience have the opportunity to gain a broader understanding of Vizient and how Vizient impacts members across the country. The elective experience is focused on analytics, informatics and supply chain leadership, and is provided over a typical timeframe of 3 to 4 weeks. Throughout the experience, the guest resident will interact with Vizient senior leadership and become a valued member of the Vizient Pharmacy Solutions team.
Goals of the experience
This approximately four-week rotation will give the resident the opportunity to:
- Gain a broader understanding of Vizient
- Understand how Vizient impacts members nationally
- Interact with Vizient senior leadership
- Become a valued member of the Vizient Pharmacy Solutions team
Feedback and evaluations will be entered into the resident’s home program PharmAcademic™ and/or any method preferred by the home program.
Live and virtual experiences
Due to local and institution specific restrictions, as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are continuing to provide this experience virtually. When the timing is right, the option to complete the experience in our live office environment at our Irving, Texas headquarters may be offered.
Housing (if applicable)
- Room and board are the responsibility of the resident and/or home residency program
- Vizient’s Pharmacy Solutions team will assist with locating housing options around our office and we strongly encourage arrangements be determined by residents as early as possible
- Inbound/outbound and daily commute – resident’s responsibility
- Any experience related travel – covered by Vizient
When applying, be prepared to provide the following application information and materials in our electronic application:
- PGY2 Program and Residency Program Director (RPD) contact information
- Information will be used to contact the designated RPD for approval via a form that will be sent automatically after completion of the resident’s application
- Applications are not considered complete until the RPD approval form is received by our team
- PDF copies of the following:
- Personal statement/Letter of Intent
- Most up-to-date CV/resume
- Be able to answer the following questions in 250 words or less:
- How does this elective rotation align with your career interests?
- What skills do you hope to gain from completing this rotation?
Please direct all questions or inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program location: Virtual experiences will be offered until further notice
- Duration: Typically 3-4 weeks (typically calendar month blocks)
- Number of positions: Approximately one per month, pending availability
- Deadline for initial phase of rolling applications: July 2, 2021 at 11:50 p.m. CT for the 2021-2022 residency year
Meet our preceptors and program leadership
- Alex Parish, PharmD, MBA (current)
Alex is excited to return to Vizient as a PGY-2 Pharmacy Informatics and Supply Chain Leadership resident after previously completing a rotation at the company as a pharmacy student. Alex is from Dallas, TX and completed his Doctorate in Pharmacy at Texas Tech University of Health Sciences Center. Afterwards, he went on to complete a PGY-1 at Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center in Fort Worth, TX. In his free time, Alex enjoys working out, playing basketball, and going out on the lake with his friends and family.
- Jerry Vettemthadathil, PharmD, MBA, MSHS (current)
Jerry is excited to return to Vizient as a PGY-2 Pharmacy Informatics and Supply Chain resident after previously getting a glimpse into the company as a student on rotation. He is from Houston, TX and completed his Doctorate in Pharmacy at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Afterwards, he finished a PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at BSA Health System in Amarillo, Texas. Jerry enjoys reading, playing games, and fishing during his free time.
- Larry Huang, PharmD (2019-2020)
Manager, Pharmacy Analytics Larry is from Austin, TX and completed his Doctorate in Pharmacy at the University of Texas at Austin. Afterwards, he finished a PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Indiana University Health and a PGY2 Pharmacy Informatics Residency at Vizient. He stayed with the Vizient Pharmacy Analytics and Informatics team after completion. Currently, he coordinates the Pharmacy Price Verification program, assists in various analytics initiatives, and helps precept pharmacy students. In his free time, Larry enjoys working out at the gym, cooking, and trying new coffee shops.
- Jade Vitug, PharmD (2018-2019
After completing the PGY2 Pharmacy Informatics Residency at Vizient, Jade stayed on with the company as a Senior Portfolio Executive. In her current role, Jade manages national contracts for branded pharmaceutical products. She received her doctorate in pharmacy (PharmD) from the University of California, San Francisco and completed a PGY1 pharmacy residency at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, California. Jade is originally from the tropical island of Guam.
- Cassandra Miller, PharmD (2017-2018)
Cassandra currently works at Banner Health as a medication use practice specialist. After completing the PGY2 Pharmacy Informatics Residency at Vizient, she worked as a system clinical pharmacist focusing on clinical benchmarking and utilization management initiatives for the UNC Health Care System in North Carolina. Her past training experience focused on population health in a managed Medicaid and Medicare patient population. Cassandra received doctorate in pharmacy and master's of science in health informatics from the University of Findlay in Findlay, Ohio.
- Bryan Shaw, PharmD (2016-2017)
Connect with us to learn more about the guest resident rotation program.