Achieve and sustain organizational excellence by transforming into a high reliability organization
High reliability organizations (HROs) operate in high-complexity and risk-prone environments for extended periods without causing harm or experiencing catastrophic events. These organizations effectively transform cultures, implement systems, and empower their workforce so events that could result in patient harm such as a fall or a wrong site surgery are anticipated. As the workforce becomes more mindful of risks and systems become more reliable, clinical outcomes and harm improves as well as the experience of patients and families. Gaining reliability in outcomes and managing risks also increases an organization’s ability to effectively perform in value-based agreements.
Vizient and industry-leading HRO company Safe & Reliable Healthcare, offer an integrated solution designed to help Vizient members transform to HROs. Vizient’s HRO solution includes expertise grounded in high-reliability principles, management systems, technology, and analytics. The partnership elevates the analytical capabilities of both companies with the integration of Vizient’s robust clinical data with Safe & Reliable’s culture of safety and employee engagement data.
Vizient’s high-reliability solution
- Develops leaders who are competent and capable to lead and manage based on high-reliability principles.
- Creates learning cultures that promote mindfulness and accountability.
- Implements management systems across the organization to proactively engage the workforce in improvement and sustaining advancements.
- Enhances workforce engagement and resiliency
- Focuses resources on actions that accelerate goal achievement and sustainability.
- Integrates clinical and outcome data with culture and employee engagement data to identify new drivers and align with targeted solutions.
- Improves positioning for value-based care and market competitiveness by achieving and sustaining performance excellence measured by harm, outcomes and cost.
This solution is a critical component for any health care organization that strives to
- Transform cultures.
- Develop leaders.
- Create workforce mindfulness and accountability.
- Enhance improvement and sustainability capabilities and competencies.
- Connect the dots with culture, engagement, and clinical and outcome data.
- Add joy back to the work.
- Vizient Launches a High Reliability Organization Solution for Sustained Delivery of Safe Health Care
- Patient Safety Organization: Accelerating Improvements in Patient Safety Outcomes
- Vizient Podcast: Achieving a highly reliable organization – Part 1
- Vizient Podcast: Achieving a highly reliable organization – Part 2
- NEJM Article: Development and Expression of a High-Reliability Organization (subscription required to view full article)
- Creating a Culture of Change – New Hanover Regional Medical Center Case Study | Video
- A Journey Toward High Reliability – Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital
- A Commitment to Consistent, Quality Care – Norman Regional Health System
The annual aggregate cost of harm in American health care is $20B (NIH 2020). One in 20 patients are harmed during a hospital stay. If that harm is minor / temporary, the average, incremental, cost of the patient’s stay is approximately $4,000. If more severe, the cost is $10,000 (Journal of Patient Safety).
Begin your journey to high reliability.