From white bagging to 340B, Vizient pharmacy experts, government relations experts and our industry pharmacy leaders continuously monitor payer policies and provide insights to support health systems and hospitals with delivery of high-quality care.
Vizient members can also access Pharmacy: Putting policy into action.
Health system insights on white bagging
Review our latest report: Survey on the patient care and economic costs of white bagging. This study provides Vizient member insights on the growing trend of white and brown bagging and the impact to health system pharmacies.
White Bagging 101
“White bagging” commonly occurs when insurance companies make coverage of needed patient-specific medications contingent on the medication being distributed from a third party specialty pharmacy versus allowing providers to buy and then bill for the medication and its administration.
Pharmacy leaders in action
The Vizient Pharmacy Network Executive Committee and Advocacy subcommittee, representing pharmacy practice leaders from across the U.S., closely follow payer-mandated policies, the Unapproved Drug Initiative and other legislative trends that could significantly impact pharmacy practice at both the state and federal levels.
- Christine Collins, MBA, RPh, Vice President and Chief Pharmacy Officer, Lifespan
- Brian Cotter, MS, RPh, Senior Directory, System Pharmacy Services, University of Maryland Medical System
- Erin Fox, Senior Pharmacy Director, University of Utah Health
- John Pastor, PharmD, FASHP, FMSHP, System Vice President, Pharmacy and Respiratory Care, M Health Fairview
- Rita Shane, Pharm.D., FASHP, FCSHP, Vice President and Chief Pharmacy Officer, Cedars Sinai
- Deborah Simonson, PharmD, System VP, Pharmacy, Ochsner Health
Learn about our Pharmacy Program. We are here to support you.