Delving into members' opioid strategies
Vizient® surveyed over 90 member hospital and health system leaders across the country to learn how they are coping with the opioid crisis. Specifically, the survey examined changes that hospitals are implementing, strategies that are working and how they are handling challenges while effectively managing resources.
The misuse of and addiction to opioids continues to be a serious national crisis that affects public health. Not only are people in the United States dying of opioid overdose at a rate of more than 130 people every day,1 but the economic burden is also astronomical. The estimated "economic burden" of prescription opioid misuse alone in the United States is approximated to be around $78.5 billion a year. These costs estimated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention include the costs of health care, lost productivity, addiction treatment, and criminal justice involvement.2
We invite our members to work together to:
- Reduce opioid abuse, misuse, addiction and overdose
- Advocate for increased and expanded opioid-use awareness as well as increased substance abuse services
- Safely meet the needs of patients experiencing pain
- H.R. 6 – The SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act
- The Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act Summary
- Survey results from kick-off campaign call regarding member's interest and needs
- Learn about the work done in the 2016-2017 Adverse Drug Event Collaborative focused on prescribing opioid for chronic pain
1. CDC/NCHS, National Vital Statistics System, Mortality. CDC WONDER, Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2018. https://wonder.cdc.gov.
2. Florence CS, Zhou C, Luo F, Xu L. The Economic Burden of Prescription Opioid Overdose, Abuse, and Dependence in the United States, 2013. Med Care. 2016;54(10):901-906. doi:10.1097/MLR.0000000000000625.
How UK HealthCare is addressing the opioid crisis
Phillip Chang, MD, chief medical officer at UK HealthCare discusses how the academic medical center is helping doctors there tackle the crisis by educating patients on treatments that will help manage pain and reduce the potential for opioid misuse. UK HealthCare is a member of the Vizient Opioid Stewardship Collaborative.
For additional information or inquiries about the Vizient opioid resources, contact Jodi Eisenberg, Senior Director, Accreditation Program at (312) 775-4426.